This year, we planted some zucchini in our garden. Thus, I have been searching for various zucchini recipes over the last couple of weeks. Zucchini savory pancakes, schnitzels ..and now zucchini bread.
I found a classic recipe, but instead of using just cinnamon, I used gingerbread spice mix. Quite a Christmassy flavor, not very summery, but nice for a change. And nothing can beat the aroma of gingerbread spice! Even in hot summer.
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil suitable for baking (e.g. sunflower oil)
- 1/2 pack gingerbread spice (3 – 4 teaspoons); it might be difficult to buy something like that outside of the Czech Republic, you can replace it by a mixture of cinnamon, coriander, star anise, allspice, cloves, anise, nutmeg, fennel seeds, all milled; but you can find plenty of recipes for homemade gingerbread spice on the internet
- 1 cup grated zucchini
Make the dough
Preheat oven to 165ºC (325ºF). Grease and flour a baking form.
In a larger bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and gingerbread spice.
Gradually add flour mix into the bowl with liquid ingredients while whisking. Once well combined, stir in zucchini.
Pour the dough into the baking form and place it in the oven.
Bake the cake
Bake for about 45 – 55 mins. Use a skewer to test if the cake is done. If you insert it in the center of the cake, it should come out clean. If not, leave the tray in the oven for a few more minutes.